Conference on Indian Power Sector: Vision 2020


second              annual power

Power sector is a critical infrastructure element required for the smooth functioning of the economy. An efficient, resilient and financially sustainable power sector is essential to stimulate growth and prosperity in the state. The availability of reliable, quality and affordable power can ensure growth of all sectors of economy including agricultural, industrial and others. The utility electricity sector in India had an installed capacity of 302.833 GW as of 30 April 2016. Renewable Power plants constituted 28% of total installed capacity and Non-Renewable Power Plants constituted the remaining 72%. The gross electricity generated by utilities is 1,106 TWh (1,106,000 GWh) and 166 TWh by captive power plants during the 2014-15 fiscal. The gross electricity generation includes auxiliary power consumption of power generation plants. India became the world's third largest producer of electricity in the year 2013 with 4.8% global share in electricity generation surpassing Japan and Russia.

However the calendar year 2016 started with steep fall in the international price of energy commodities such as coal, diesel oil, naphtha, bunker fuel and LNG which are used in electricity generation in India. Earlier many of the power stations which are using fuels other than coal are unable to operate due to high cost of LNG and petro products. This situation has changed due to glut in petroleum products globally. The prices are falling to such an extent that these fuels have become cheaper to give competition for pit head coal based power generators. Many of the stranded gas and liquid fuel based power stations would be competing with indigenous coal based power stations in an electricity market where demand growth is not encouraging.

All the segments of the electricity sector such as fuel suppliers, fuel transporters(railways, harbours, pipelines, etc.), Electricity generators, electricity transmission companies and distribution companies would be facing severe competition to cut down the prices and improve their operating efficiency in a final consumer dictated market If Discoms, keep on charging exorbitant tariffs to bulk consumers, they would be opting for solar / wind power plants or take over an existing power plant to meet their captive consumption. Due to tepid growth in electricity consumption, coal stocks are continuously building up at power stations as well as coal mines. In order to address the lack of adequate electricity availability to all the people in the country, Government of India has launched a scheme called "Power for All".

This scheme will ensure that there is 24/7 continuous electricity supply provided to all households, industries and commercial establishments by creating and improving necessary infrastructure. It's a joint collaboration of centre with states to share funding and create overall economic growth. Currently 17 states have joined the scheme.

A need to analyse the recent trends and development of the Indian Power Sector and also to ponder over the current state and future outlook of the same by hearing out the perspective of the Government, Private companies and other major stakeholders was felt ,thus Diligentia through its proactive approach is providing a platform to the key players to share their views on important issues like Power Market Outlook for upto 3-5 years :whether low price will continue to prevail in short to medium term, Consumer shift to power purchase through open access, Carriage and Content separation mechanism in distribution segment - need of the hour.